What does it take to make a book by hand? Artist and poet Glen Calleja will be holding a workshop on the living art of handmade books during the Campus Book Festival held on the University’s quadrangle on Wednesday 21 March at 11 am. Glen will give a practical demonstration on how to produce a handmade book.
What makes a book? The question is pertinent both because the West values the book as central to its civilisations (think of the Bible, law codices, etc) and because of the emerging publishing platforms and new materials available for book artists and bookbinders today. What book structures are we familiar with and what makes a book structure different to another?
The workshop will answer these questions, while focusing on the principles of traditional bookbinding and on how these are essential in the process. A short explanation of the tools will be given, followed by the methods applied to design a book, from the initial idea to the final product. The presentation will treat both traditional bookbinding skills as well as contemporary book design.
Glen is the founder of Kotba Calleja, and he has started a number of artistic collaborations with other craftsmen and artists.
The Campus Book Festival is organised by the National Book Council and the Għaqda tal-Malti, kicking off daily at 9 am with back-to-back activities planned until 4 pm. On Friday the activities will continue until late. The Festival aims to promote literature while giving publishers and book distributors a platform to sell and promote their publications. The Festival’s programme is vast and offers a wide range of events to suit many interests, from book launches and talks to film screenings, workshops and live music.
For more information about this event and the Campus Book Festival, visit the National Book Council’s website www.ktieb.org and Facebook page. A detailed programme can be downloaded by following the link.
- The Campus Book Festival 2020 - date announcement and special guests
- All about books: literary events at the Campus Book Fest 2019
- Campus Book Festival 2019: programme of events
- Book Festival on Campus opens this Wednesday
- Fuzzhoneys and Crytpic Street at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- Celebrating Frankenstein at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- Art meets text in Dik il-Qtajra at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- Jasmin B. Frelih at the Campus Book Festival
- Inizjamed’s Open Mic at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- Experimental folk music by Noah Fabri at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- Young adult fiction and taboo at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- The Maltese Cinderella at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- The art of bookbinding at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- Talk on William Blake and the art of print-making at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- Campus Book Festival 2018: Programme of Events
- Imħejji l-Festival tal-Ktieb Fuq il-Kampus 2018
- Preparations for Book Festival on Campus 2018 are underway
- Spotlight on the Campus Book Festival: The End
- Spotlight on the Campus Book Festival: Day Two
- Spotlight on the Campus Book Festival: Day One
- The Programme of Events for the Campus Festival 2017 is out
- Preparations for Book Festival on Campus 2017 are underway
- Remember these dates! Book Festivals
- Book Festival on Campus 2016 - it's a wrap!
- Book Festival on Campus // 5-6-7 April
- Campus Book Festival - 5th-7th MAY 2015
- Hani Shukrallah at the University Book Festival 2014
- Book Festival on Campus 2014