- Tuesday | November 8, 2017 to Saturday | November 11, 2017
- 11:59 pm
- Mediterranean Conference Centre
As preparations for the Malta Book Festival are underway, the National Book Council would like to announce the release of its official programme of events. As always the programme of events will feature conferences on themes of literary and sociopolitical importance, book and author presentations, book launches, fun activities for children, readings and much more.
The Malta Book Festival will take place at the Mediterranean Conference Centre (MCC) in Valletta from 8 till 12 November and will be open to the public morning and evenings, including all day on both Saturday and Sunday. Over these five days, members of the public will be invited to visit the grand hall of the historic hospital of the Knights of St John to be treated to the biggest and most popular book event in the cultural calendar of the island. There they will find numerous stands representing both local and foreign publishers, bookshops, distributors and NGOs. Most of these participants have also been preparing events with literary themes, including presentations of new publications and their authors, dramatic performances and discussions.
The aims of the Book Festival are to promote reading and literacy, promoting books as a medium of learning and enjoyment, engaging the public in intelligent discussion with writers and experts in various areas of study and academic interest, creating fun activities for both the young and the old, and giving a space for publishers and other cultural agents to present their work to the public.
The Festival will be inaugurated on Tuesday 7 with the Terramaxka National Book Prize for Children’s Books. On Wednesday 8, the Festival will open with a conference on the Definition of Truth in Fiction and Non-Fiction which will offer the adult public the chance to engage with five brilliant contemporary minds who are among this year’s special guests: Rosie Goldsmith, the renowned BBC journalist, the US born and UK raised novelist and poet Ros Barber, French novelist Gilbert Sinoué, Kuwaiti poet Shahd Al Shammari and local author Alex Vella Gera. Another special guest for this year is Ahmad Said Abdel Moneim, a renowned Arab publisher who will be giving a talk on subversive literature in the Arab world.
As is now customary, there will be an event to honour last year’s winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award. Author, poet and playwright Mario Azzopardi was awarded the 2016 prize for his extensive contribution to local literature and culture not just as a writer but also for his work in the fields of cultural journalism and literary criticism. Azzopardi was one of the founders of the Moviment Qawmien Letterarju, a revolutionary literary movement that played a crucial role in motivating Maltese authors to move away from parochialism and traditional folkloristic themes to treat topics of current social relevance. The event will feature a short film on Azzopardi, an interview with the personality and readings of excerpts from some of his important works. This event will take place on Friday, which will be the Festival’s Poetry Day.
Also on Friday, NBC will be organising a second event in collaboration with the Maltese Poets’ Association, where apart from selected readings, the winners of the Mons. Amante Buontempo Poetry Contest 2017 will be announced. Publishers such as Horizons will also be setting up events related to poetry with meetings with poets and more readings.
As usual, the festival will also include a thematic exhibition, to be housed within the Perello’s Suite of the Mediterranean Conference Centre. An art exhibition in different media – paintings, photography, digital art – inspired by works of Maltese literature will be open to the public for the entire duration of the Festival and the works will be on sale.
Students will be attending the Festival in weekday mornings, that is on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and activities such as dramatic performances based on the winning titles of this year’s Terramaxka Book Prize will be prepared for them. In addition, there will be actors dressed up as well-known literary figures who will interact with the young visitors as they guide them through the stands and different features of the festival. A 3-euro voucher will be given to every student to encourage them to buy a book for themselves.
Saturday evening closes off with a highlight event: the short film premiere in Temi Zammit Hall at MCC. This year’s winner of the NBC PBS Short Film Contest is the company Mitħolma of Charles Stroud, who will be adapting Joe Friggieri’s short story Dritt Għall-Punt from the collection of short stories Nismagħhom Jgħidu (Kite Group, 2016). The director and the renowned author of story will be present at the event and they will engage the public in a discussion on film adaptation.
In addition to the above, all the special guests to the Festival, including local author Alex Vella Gera, will be the focus of events dedicated to their work. Rosie Goldsmith will also be leading a workshop on journalism on Wednesday, which should be of immense interest to both journalists and members of the public.
The public is strongly urged to follow the NBC website and facebook on more updates on the Festival. In the meantime, save the dates and make sure you do not miss on this great opportunity to take part in the biggest book celebration in Malta and Gozo.
- An announcement by the National Book Council on the Malta Book Festival 2020
- The Malta Book Festival 2020 - release of the official poster
- Media scheme for exhibitors // Malta Book Festival 2020
- Save the date: Malta Book Festival 2020 // Application form for exhibitors is out
- The Art of Protest at the 2020 Campus Book Festival
- The Malta Book Festival 2019 comes to an end
- The Malta Book Festival opened tonight: Terramaxka Prize 2019
- The Malta Book Festival opens tomorrow!
- Taħt il-Qoxra: Il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb
- All you need to know about the Malta Book Festival 2019
- Literary Speed Dating at the Malta Book Festival 2019
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival 2019: Loranne Vella and Dr. Lillian Sciberras
- Reading, children and the Malta Book Festival 2019
- The exhibitors - Malta Book Festival 2019
- The programme of events for the Malta Book Festival 2019 is out
- Judge Rosemarie Aquilina is the special guest of the 2019 Malta Book Festival
- Surprises and new trends: the shortlist of 2019 National Book Prize
- Malta Book Festival 2019: events and authors
- National Book Prize and Terramaxka 2019 - the shortlist
- The Malta Book Festival 2019
- Malta Book Festival 2019 // Application Form is Out
- Ħarġet il-Formola tal-Applikazzjoni tal-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2019
- All about books: literary events at the Campus Book Fest 2019
- Lillian Sciberras: Lifetime Achievement Award 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opened today: Terramaxka Prize 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opens its doors tomorrow: save the date – 7-11 November 2018
- ‘Literature in the Diaspora’: the opening conference of the 2018 Malta Book Festival
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival: Lou Drofenik and Victor Fenech
- Mistiedna lokali ewlenin waqt il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb: Lou Drofenik u Victor Fenech
- Meet the exhibitors - Malta Book Festival 2018
- The programme of events for the Malta Book Festival 2018 is out
- New trends and surprises in the National Book Prize shortlist 2018
- 'Il-kotba jieħdu l-ħajja' fil-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2018
- National Book Prize and Terramaxka Shortlist 2018
- National Book Festival 2018: events and authors
- The Malta Book Festival 2018
- Malta Book Festival 2018 // Application Form is Out
- Experimental folk music by Noah Fabri at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- End of Malta Book Festival 2017
- Mons Amante Buontempo Poetry Contest: Results
- Ros Barber at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Specialised Workshop at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Celebrating Mario Azzopardi at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Shahd Alshammari at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Gilbert Sinoué at Malta Book Festival 2017
- Alex Vella Gera at the National Book Festival 2017
- Conference: Truth in Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Release of Programme of Events: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Workshop with journalists Rosie Goldsmith and Max Easterman: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Malta Book Festival 2017 - Dates and Events