The 2019 Malta Book Festival
View the programme of events for the 2019 Malta Book Festival from here (mobile version here) – featuring book launches, presentations, poetry readings, meetings with authors, conferences and seminars.
A literary conference, relating to the genres of sci-fi and fantasy kicked off the festival on the evening of 6 November. Participating guest authors were Loranne Vella, author of the 2018 National Book Prize winner Rokit (Merlin Publishers), Malta-born Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Kali Wallace and Dave Rudden.
Special Guest to the 2019 edition of the Festival was American-Maltese Judge Hon. Rosemarie Aquilina, who skyrocketed to international fame after sentencing serial rapist Larry Nassar to 175 years in jail in a case that became a lightning-rod for the ‘#MeToo’ era.
Work is already underway for next year’s Book Festival!
The MBF Story
The Malta Book Festival is the foremost book celebration in the country’s cultural calendar. Annually, the MBF boasts an attendance rate of 40,000 visitors, the participation of more than 40 exhibitors, and offers extensive networking opportunities for industry professionals.
The first edition of the MBF was held in 1979, then called the Malta Book Fair (1979-2012), and has since grown into a festival that celebrates the book culture in all its forms. The international dimension of the Festival is increasingly reflected in the lineup of guest authors and publishers which in previous years have included Gilbert Sinoué, Ros Barber, Shad Alshammari, Basma Abdel Aziz, Patrick McGuinness, Alek Popov, Marie Darrieussecq, Maram al-Masri, Dan Sociu, Ros Barber, Vera Duarte, Tim Parks, Philip ò Ceallaigh and Naomi Klein.
Wednesday 6 November: 09:00 – 13:00, 17:30 – 21:30
Thursday 7 November: 09:00 – 13:00, 17:30 – 21:30
Friday 8 November: 09:00 – 13:00, 17:30 – 22:00
Saturday 9 November: 09:30 – 22:30
Sunday 10 November: 08:30 – 20:00
Mediterranean Conference Centre (MCC), Triq l-Isptar, Valletta, VLT 1645
Weekday mornings at the Festival are dedicated to school visits. Students and teachers enjoyed a special programme of cultural and fun activities, including theatre pieces, readings and meetings with writers. Antonella Axisa also lead her troupe to adapt last year’s Terramaxka Prize winners for the stage.
Your visit this year was a pleasant one – this year’s performances were being held at the MCC’s Republic Hall, facilitating the management of student numbers during the Festival.
Pre-book your school visit for the 2020 Book Festival!
Teachers are invited to follow this link for more information.
The popular comedy duo Danusan staged their show ‘Il-Kotba jieħdu l-ħajja’ (Books come to life). The performances was inspired by the works awarded with the 2019 Terramaxka Prize, announced during the Festival’s opening ceremony on 5 November.
Tickets for the three shows (Friday 8 November at 7 pm, Saturday 9 November at 8 pm and Sunday 10 November at 3 pm) were available for sale on the MCC’s website and showshappening.com. Ticket prices start at 5€.
See here the list of the exhibitors participating in the Malta Book Festival 2019.
Applications for exhibitors, including publishers, and book sellers wishing to participate in the 2019 Malta Book Festival are now closed.
The Sacra Infermeria and La Valette Halls hosted publishers, NGOs and libraries, as well as book sellers and bookshops.
For your reference, the 2019 Application Form with updated rules and regulations can be downloaded here. Applications were sent either as an email attachment to [email protected] or by post (deadline 9 August 2019).
The call for applications for the 2020 Malta Book Festival will be available next summer.
The 2018 Malta Book Festival
The cultural programme for 2018 Malta Book Festival featured well over 80 events in book launches, readings, meetings with authors, and seminars. It enjoyed the Government’s support as part of Valletta 2018 European Capital of Culture programme.
The highlight of this edition was world-renowned author and activist Naomi Klein, who was interviewed by local journalist Matthew Vella. Klein is the author of international bestseller The Shock Doctrine about disaster capitalism, which increased Klein’s prominence, with the New Yorker judging her ‘the most visible and influential figure on the American left’.
View or download the programme of events of the Malta Book Festival 2018.
- The Art of Protest at the 2020 Campus Book Festival
- The Malta Book Festival 2019 comes to an end
- The Malta Book Festival opened tonight: Terramaxka Prize 2019
- The Malta Book Festival opens tomorrow!
- Taħt il-Qoxra: Il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb
- All you need to know about the Malta Book Festival 2019
- Literary Speed Dating at the Malta Book Festival 2019
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival 2019: Loranne Vella and Dr. Lillian Sciberras
- Reading, children and the Malta Book Festival 2019
- The exhibitors - Malta Book Festival 2019
- The programme of events for the Malta Book Festival 2019 is out
- Judge Rosemarie Aquilina is the special guest of the 2019 Malta Book Festival
- Surprises and new trends: the shortlist of 2019 National Book Prize
- Malta Book Festival 2019: events and authors
- National Book Prize and Terramaxka 2019 - the shortlist
- The Malta Book Festival 2019
- Malta Book Festival 2019 // Application Form is Out
- Ħarġet il-Formola tal-Applikazzjoni tal-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2019
- All about books: literary events at the Campus Book Fest 2019
- Lillian Sciberras: Lifetime Achievement Award 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opened today: Terramaxka Prize 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opens its doors tomorrow: save the date – 7-11 November 2018
- ‘Literature in the Diaspora’: the opening conference of the 2018 Malta Book Festival
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival: Lou Drofenik and Victor Fenech
- Mistiedna lokali ewlenin waqt il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb: Lou Drofenik u Victor Fenech
- Meet the exhibitors - Malta Book Festival 2018
- The programme of events for the Malta Book Festival 2018 is out
- New trends and surprises in the National Book Prize shortlist 2018
- 'Il-kotba jieħdu l-ħajja' fil-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2018
- National Book Prize and Terramaxka Shortlist 2018
- National Book Festival 2018: events and authors
- The Malta Book Festival 2018
- Malta Book Festival 2018 // Application Form is Out
- Experimental folk music by Noah Fabri at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- End of Malta Book Festival 2017
- Mons Amante Buontempo Poetry Contest: Results
- Ros Barber at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Specialised Workshop at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Celebrating Mario Azzopardi at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Shahd Alshammari at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Gilbert Sinoué at Malta Book Festival 2017
- Alex Vella Gera at the National Book Festival 2017
- Conference: Truth in Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Release of Programme of Events: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Workshop with journalists Rosie Goldsmith and Max Easterman: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Malta Book Festival 2017 - Dates and Events