The 2020 Malta Book Festival
The 2020 Malta Book Festival is organised by the National Book Council and will take place from 11-15 November at the Mediterranean Conference Centre, Valletta.
While preparations for this year’s edition are now well underway, the National Book Council will be following the national health authorities’ directives on public gatherings and is aware that plans for the festival may have to be altered accordingly.
The MBF Story
The Malta Book Festival is the foremost book celebration in the country’s cultural calendar. Annually, the MBF boasts an attendance rate of 40,000 visitors, the participation of more than 40 exhibitors, and offers extensive networking opportunities for industry professionals.
The first edition of the MBF was held in 1979, then called the Malta Book Fair (1979-2012), and has since grown into a festival that celebrates the book culture in all its forms. The international dimension of the Festival is increasingly reflected in the lineup of guest authors and publishers which in previous years have included Gilbert Sinoué, Ros Barber, Shad Alshammari, Basma Abdel Aziz, Patrick McGuinness, Alek Popov, Marie Darrieussecq, Maram al-Masri, Dan Sociu, Ros Barber, Vera Duarte, Tim Parks, Philip ò Ceallaigh, Naomi Klein and Judge Rosemarie Aquilina.
Wednesday 11 November: 09:00 – 13:00, 17:30 – 21:30
Thursday 12 November: 09:00 – 13:00, 17:30 – 21:30
Friday 13 November: 09:00 – 13:00, 17:30 – 22:00
Saturday 14 November: 09:30 – 22:30
Sunday 15 November: 08:30 – 20:00
Mediterranean Conference Centre (MCC), Triq l-Isptar, Valletta, VLT 1645
Weekday mornings at the Festival are dedicated to school visits. A special programme of cultural and fun activities for students and teachers alike is set up, including theatre pieces, readings and meetings with writers.
Every year a professional team of actors adapts the Terramaxka Prize winners of the previous years, according to the age group of students.
COVID-19 – notification
While preparations for the Malta Book Festival 2020 are well underway, the National Book Council is aware that plans may have to be altered should the authorities instruct to avoid public gatherings. Follow our website and Facebook page for updates.
Please tune in later on for further information on family shows held during the Malta Book Festival 2020.
Applications for exhibitors, including publishers, and book sellers wishing to participate in the 2020 Malta Book Festival are now open. Download the application from here and make sure you peruse all terms and conditions before you apply.
Send your application as an email attachment to Michael Mercieca ([email protected]) and by post at the address that follows, by not later than Friday 14 August 2020 at noon (12 pm): Malta Book Festival 2020, National Book Council, Central Public Library, Prof. J. Mangion Street, Floriana, FRN 1800, MALTA.
The Sacra Infermeria and La Valette Halls will be hosting publishers, NGOs and libraries, as well as book sellers and bookshops.
The 2019 Malta Book Festival
View the programme of events for the 2019 Malta Book Festival from here (mobile version here) – which featured book launches, presentations, poetry readings, meetings with authors, conferences and seminars.
A literary conference, relating to the genres of sci-fi and fantasy kicked off the festival on the evening of 6 November. Participating guest authors were Loranne Vella, author of the 2018 National Book Prize winner Rokit (Merlin Publishers), Malta-born Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Kali Wallace and Dave Rudden.
Special Guest to the 2019 edition of the Festival was American-Maltese Judge Hon. Rosemarie Aquilina, who skyrocketed to international fame after sentencing serial rapist Larry Nassar to 175 years in jail in a case that became a lightning-rod for the ‘#MeToo’ era.
The 2018 Malta Book Festival
The cultural programme for 2018 Malta Book Festival featured well over 80 events in book launches, readings, meetings with authors, and seminars. It enjoyed the Government’s support as part of Valletta 2018 European Capital of Culture programme.
The highlight of this edition was world-renowned author and activist Naomi Klein, who was interviewed by local journalist Matthew Vella. Klein is the author of international bestseller The Shock Doctrine about disaster capitalism, which increased Klein’s prominence, with the New Yorker judging her ‘the most visible and influential figure on the American left’.
View or download the programme of events of the Malta Book Festival 2018.
- Save the date: Malta Book Festival 2020 // Application form for exhibitors is out
- The Art of Protest at the 2020 Campus Book Festival
- The Malta Book Festival 2019 comes to an end
- The Malta Book Festival opened tonight: Terramaxka Prize 2019
- The Malta Book Festival opens tomorrow!
- Taħt il-Qoxra: Il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb
- All you need to know about the Malta Book Festival 2019
- Literary Speed Dating at the Malta Book Festival 2019
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival 2019: Loranne Vella and Dr. Lillian Sciberras
- Reading, children and the Malta Book Festival 2019
- The exhibitors - Malta Book Festival 2019
- The programme of events for the Malta Book Festival 2019 is out
- Judge Rosemarie Aquilina is the special guest of the 2019 Malta Book Festival
- Surprises and new trends: the shortlist of 2019 National Book Prize
- Malta Book Festival 2019: events and authors
- National Book Prize and Terramaxka 2019 - the shortlist
- The Malta Book Festival 2019
- Malta Book Festival 2019 // Application Form is Out
- Ħarġet il-Formola tal-Applikazzjoni tal-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2019
- All about books: literary events at the Campus Book Fest 2019
- Lillian Sciberras: Lifetime Achievement Award 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opened today: Terramaxka Prize 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opens its doors tomorrow: save the date – 7-11 November 2018
- ‘Literature in the Diaspora’: the opening conference of the 2018 Malta Book Festival
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival: Lou Drofenik and Victor Fenech
- Mistiedna lokali ewlenin waqt il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb: Lou Drofenik u Victor Fenech
- Meet the exhibitors - Malta Book Festival 2018
- The programme of events for the Malta Book Festival 2018 is out
- New trends and surprises in the National Book Prize shortlist 2018
- 'Il-kotba jieħdu l-ħajja' fil-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2018
- National Book Prize and Terramaxka Shortlist 2018
- National Book Festival 2018: events and authors
- The Malta Book Festival 2018
- Malta Book Festival 2018 // Application Form is Out
- Experimental folk music by Noah Fabri at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- End of Malta Book Festival 2017
- Mons Amante Buontempo Poetry Contest: Results
- Ros Barber at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Specialised Workshop at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Celebrating Mario Azzopardi at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Shahd Alshammari at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Gilbert Sinoué at Malta Book Festival 2017
- Alex Vella Gera at the National Book Festival 2017
- Conference: Truth in Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Release of Programme of Events: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Workshop with journalists Rosie Goldsmith and Max Easterman: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Malta Book Festival 2017 - Dates and Events