The Malta Book Festival 2019 – preparations are underway!
The Malta Book Festival is the most important book event in the Maltese calendar. The event boasts an attendance rate of 40,000 people and the participation of more than 40 exhibitors. Its cultural programme last year featured well over 80 events in book launches, book presentations, poetry readings, meetings with authors, conferences and seminars.
The Malta Book Festival is held annually at the Mediterranean Conference Centre, in the first or second week of November. It evolved from the Malta Book Fair, which was first held in 1979, into a festival that celebrates the book culture and seeks to represent the book in its entirety – not just as any object of consumption, but as something that involves the reader beyond the confines of the book. For this reason, the event was rebranded as the Malta Book Festival in 2013.
This year the Festival will take place over five days starting on Wednesday 6 November and ending on Sunday 10 November. There will be two exhibition halls – publishers, NGOs and libraries (both local and foreign) will be exhibiting at La Sacra Infermeria, whereas booksellers and bookshops will be hosted in the La Vallette Hall.
Year after year, the Festival expanded in scope both in terms of participation and as a cultural event. It is free of charge and open to the public mornings and evenings. The programme of events booklet is distributed to every household in Malta and Gozo through Maltapost, in an effort to reach as wide as an audience as possible. The cultural programme of the Festival features a wealth of activities, including dramatisations of literary texts, discussions and conferences on literary themes, and expert readings of passages from novels or poetry. The international flavour of the Festival has increasingly come to the fore with the inclusion of foreign participants, which last year included renowned author and social activist Naomi Klein.
Weekday mornings are reserved for school children and students, and a special programme of events is prepared for them. Furthermore, following last year’s success, the comic duo Danusan will prepare the second edition of their show Books come to life, based on the winners of the 2019 Terramaxka Book Prize (which will be announced during the opening ceremony on 5 November).
Teachers are invited to follow this link for more information on how to apply for their school visit.
Potential exhibitors can access the application form from here.
Programme of events for the 2019 Malta Book Festival will be published in the next months.
Previous editions of the Malta Book Festival
The Malta Book Festival 2018
The Malta Book Festival 2018 was one of a series of very important components of the Government’s plan that made Valletta a European Capital of Culture in 2018 and, in this respect, it was fully supporting the Council in developing and enhancing further that year’s event.
View or download the programme of events of the Malta Book Festival 2018.
The Malta Book Festival 2017 – pictures
- Malta Book Festival 2019 // Application Form is Out
- Ħarġet il-Formola tal-Applikazzjoni tal-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2019
- All about books: literary events at the Campus Book Fest 2019
- Lillian Sciberras: Lifetime Achievement Award 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opened today: Terramaxka Prize 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opens its doors tomorrow: save the date – 7-11 November 2018
- ‘Literature in the Diaspora’: the opening conference of the 2018 Malta Book Festival
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival: Lou Drofenik and Victor Fenech
- Mistiedna lokali ewlenin waqt il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb: Lou Drofenik u Victor Fenech
- Meet the exhibitors - Malta Book Festival 2018
- The programme of events for the Malta Book Festival 2018 is out
- New trends and surprises in the National Book Prize shortlist 2018
- 'Il-kotba jieħdu l-ħajja' fil-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2018
- National Book Prize and Terramaxka Shortlist 2018
- National Book Festival 2018: events and authors
- The Malta Book Festival 2018
- Malta Book Festival 2018 // Application Form is Out
- Experimental folk music by Noah Fabri at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- End of Malta Book Festival 2017
- Mons Amante Buontempo Poetry Contest: Results
- Ros Barber at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Specialised Workshop at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Celebrating Mario Azzopardi at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Shahd Alshammari at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Gilbert Sinoué at Malta Book Festival 2017
- Alex Vella Gera at the National Book Festival 2017
- Conference: Truth in Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Release of Programme of Events: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Workshop with journalists Rosie Goldsmith and Max Easterman: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Malta Book Festival 2017 - Dates and Events