Aġenzija Żgħażagħ together with Kunsill Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb annually organise ‘The Literary Contest – Novels for Youth’ which is a writing contest that selects, rewards and publishes Maltese novels written for young adolescent readers. Submissions for this contest explore themes related to the different situations encountered by young people during this stage in their lives.
In this manner, the organizers hope to accomplish their mission of gradually increasing the number of books of this genre available on the local market. At the same time, adolescent readers will be able to avail themselves of a choice of Maltese literature that is both interesting and motivating. Furthermore, the organizers aspire to promote excellence by awarding works of a high literary content. Additional rationales behind this competition include raising awareness about youth literature and for authors to submit original novels which are innovative and of non-didactic or moralizing nature towards youth. In this manner, young people will benefit from an increase of books targeted for their age group, which will stimulate them to embark on new and exciting reading experiences.
The contest is open to those aged 20 or over. The manuscript should be targeted at young people aged between 13 and 18 years, and therefore still attending secondary school. The work must be original, in the Maltese language and never been published before, either in whole or in parts. The manuscript should be an original novel of between 20,000 and 25,000 words aimed at young readership. Submissins must be made under a Nom de Plume. A maximum of two novels are subsequently chosen as winners and then published.
Click on the links below for the Criteria and Application Form:
NB: Applications must reach Aġenzija Żgħażagħ by 12:00 (noon) on Friday 1 September 2017, at this address:
Konkors ta’ Kitba: Letteratura għaż-Żgħażagħ 2016
Attn: Ms. Isabelle Mallia
in collaboration with:
- Applications for the Literary Contest - Novels for Youth
- Prize-giving Ceremony for Literary Contest 'Novels for Youth' 2016
- Notice // Konkors ta’ Kitba: Letteratura għaż-Żgħażagħ 2016
- Winners of Konkors ta’ Kitba Letteratura għaż-Żgħażagħ 2015
- Annual Report 2015
- 'GRAMMA' with Leanne Ellul @CPL
- 'X'Aħna Smart!' by Stephen Lughermo at Central Public Library
- Applications for the Literary Contest of Novels for Youth - 2015
- Annual Report 2014
- The Literary Contest of Novels for Youth 2013-2014
- The Literary Contest of Novels for Youth 2013
- 'The Digital Librarian' Competition 2013
- The Literary Contest of Novels for Youth 2012