The National Book Council Film Adaptation Fund 2021 opens for applications from 17 May until 30 August 2021
The objective of the NBC Film Adaptation Fund is to further promote Maltese literary works by supporting the production of a feature film adaptation of a National Book Prize winning novel. The adaptation of shortlisted books in the Novels category will also be considered. The fund seeks to address all stages of development and production of one winning project with a maximum financial allocation of €200,000. The fund will awarded according to the decision of an independent evaluation panel. The first call for applications opened in July 2019.
Who can apply?
The NBC welcomes applications from audiovisual production companies with previous experience in various forms of filmmaking. Audiovisual production companies applying for the Fund should be registered as such in Malta or Europe, and at least one of either the Producer/s, the Writer/s, or Director/s must be a Maltese citizen or hold a permanent residence status in Malta.
Applicants interested in adapting a National Book Prize novel must hold the rights to adapt the novel into a feature-length film, produce and distribute the film, in the form of an option agreement, with the author of novel/holder of copyright for a minimum of a 30-month period prior to submitting their application.
The NBC will only consider applications for film adaptations (80 minutes or longer) of works awarded the National Book Prize, or shortlisted, in the category of Novels in Maltese and English, since the Prize’s inception in 1971.
Applications will be reviewed for completeness and eligibility before being passed on to an independent adjudicating panel. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to pitch their proposed project after which the adjudicating panel will select one project to be awarded the production grant. The beneficiary will be required to enter into a contractual agreement with the NBC by December 2021, and expected to deliver a final cut of the film to the NBC in 2023.
The complete Regulations and Assessment Criteria can be found in the Guidelines for Applicants.
The National Book Council Film Adaptation Fund 2021 opens for applications from 17 May until 30 August 2021.
Other key dates concerning pitch delivery and the results announcement will be communicated in the coming weeks.
How to apply
Apply by sending or submitting 4 hard copies of the Application Form and other mandatory documents to Michael Mercieca by 30 August 2021 at National Book Council, Central Public Library, Joseph Mangion Street, Floriana, FRN 1800.
The Guidelines contain information to guide you with your application, including General Regulations and Assessment Criteria. Please make sure to read the Guidelines carefully and in their entirety, including all Annexes.
- NBC Film Adaptation Fund 2019: Results
- The NBC Film Adaptation Fund 2019 - Call for Applications
- NBC Audio-visual contests 2019 - Results are out
- National Book Council Audiovisual work 2019: the Malta Literary Short-Film Contest and the Call for Applications for the NBC Docudrama Series 2019
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival: Lou Drofenik and Victor Fenech
- Mistiedna lokali ewlenin waqt il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb: Lou Drofenik u Victor Fenech
- NBC Literary Short Film Contest 2018
- Applications for the Malta Literary Short Film Contest 2018 are open
- Results of the Malta Literary Short Film Contest are Out
- Film Adaptation at the Malta Book Festival 2016
- Winner of the NBC PBS Short Film Contest 2016
- Applications are out for the NBC PBS Short Film Contest 2016
- Annual Report 2015
- Trailer of 'Dar ir-Rummien' is out
- Malta Book Festival 2015 - Programme of Events
- Winners of the NBC PBS Short-Film Contest 2015
- NBC and PBS: Call for Interns to work on set of short-film
- Annual Report 2014
- PBS and NBC launch the Short Film Contest - 02/02/2015
- NBC film: Laqgħa ma' Mara Morbi