The National Book Council is pleased to announce that ‘Storja ta’ Storja’, an eight-part docudrama series featuring award-winning Maltese authors, will be broadcast every Saturday on Television Malta starting from 8 August 2020.
The life and work of eight National Book Prize winning authors is the focus of ‘Storja ta’ Storja’, a new docudrama series produced by production company Sajjetta with the support of the National Book Council. The featured authors are Dr. Alfred Sant, Loranne Vella, Immanuel Mifsud, Clare Azzopardi, Alex Vella Gera, Lou Drofenik, Maria Grech Ganado and Walid Nabhan.
Each episode in the series sets out to provide audiences with a deeper understanding of some of Malta’s most celebrated authors, exploring their life and work by combining naturalistic interviews with dramatisations of parts of their work adapted in a visual style complementing the chosen story. The first episode, featuring an interview with Dr. Alfred Sant and an adaptation of a scene from his novel Silġ fuq Kemmuna (PEG, 2005), airs on TVM at 7:15 pm on 8 August.
The production involved the participation of a long list of established and upcoming actors including Mikhail Basmadjian as the protagonist to Loranne Vella’s short story ‘Kikkra’, Erica Muscat, Christian Galea, Antonella Axisa, and Gianni Selvaggi, who assumes roles in the dramatisations of both Alex Vella Gera’s Is-Sriep reġgħu saru velenużi (Merlin, 2012) and Silġ fuq Kemmuna.
‘Storja ta’ Storja’ has been executive produced by the National Book Council following a 2019 call for applications for the production of a docudrama TV-series promoting Maltese literature with new audiences. The production company Sajjetta was awarded €80,000 for the production of the project ‘Storja ta’ Storja’. The series is directed and adapted by Charlie Cauchi and Martin Bonnici with additional screenwriting by Teodor Reljiç.
‘Storja ta’ Storja’ episodes will be made available on the National Book Council YouTube channel in the days following the TV broadcast.
For further updates concerning ‘Storja ta’ Storja’ and other National Book Council initiatives please follow this website and the NBC Facebook page.
‘Storja ta’ Storja’ episodes air on TVM every Saturday evening from 8 August, with a rerun on TVM2 every following Thursday at 8:15 pm. Episodes run for 25-30 minutes.
Episode 1 – Alfred Sant airs on TVM Sat 8 August 7:15 pm
This episode features a dramatisation from the novel Silġ fuq Kemmuna (PEG, 2005)
Repeated on Thursday 13 August at 8.15pm on TVM2
Episode 2 – Loranne Vella airs on TVM Sat 15 August 7:15 pm
Repeated on Thursday 20 August at 8.15pm on TVM2
Featuring a dramatisation of ‘Il-Kikkra’ taken from mill-bieb ’il ġewwa (EDE, 2019)
Episode 3 – Immanuel Mifsud airs on TVM Sat 22 August 7:15 pm
Featuring a dramatisation of ‘Il-Ħadd’ taken from Stejjer li kellhomx jinkitbu (Klabb Kotba Maltin, 2008)
Repeated on Thursday 27 August at 8.15pm on TVM2
Episode 4 – Clare Azzopardi airs on TVM Sat 29 August 7:15 pm
Featuring a dramatisation of ‘Lily’ from Kulħadd ħalla isem warajh (Merlin Publishers, 2014)
Repeated on Thursday 3 September at 8.15pm on TVM2
Episode 5 – Alex Vella Gera airs on TVM Sat 5 September 7:15 pm
Featuring a dramatisation from the novel Is-Sriep reġgħu saru velenużi (Merlin Publishers, 2012)
Repeated on Thursday 10 September at 8.15pm on TVM2
Episode 6 – Lou Drofenik airs on TVM Sat 12 September 7:15 pm
Featuring a dramatisation from the novel The Reluctant Healer (Horizons, 2018)
Repeated on Thursday 17 September at 8.15pm on TVM2
Episode 7 – Maria Grech Ganado airs on TVM Sat 19 September 7:15 pm
Featuring an adaptation of the poem ‘Bolero’.
Repeated on Thursday 24 September at 8.15pm on TVM2
Episode 8 – Walid Nabhan airs on TVM Sat 26 September 7:15 pm
Featuring a dramatisation of ‘Sodda No. 18’ taken from Lura d-Dar u ġrajjiet oħra li ma ġrawx (Klabb Kotba Maltin, 2009)
Repeated on Thursday 1 September at 8.15pm on TVM2
- ‘Storja ta’ Storja’, the eight-part docudrama series produced by the National Book Council, airing on TVM from August
- Taħt il-Qoxra: Charlie Cauchi u Martin Bonnici
- NBC Film Adaptation Fund 2019: Results
- The NBC Film Adaptation Fund 2019 - Call for Applications
- NBC Audio-visual contests 2019 - Results are out
- National Book Council Audiovisual work 2019: the Malta Literary Short-Film Contest and the Call for Applications for the NBC Docudrama Series 2019
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival: Lou Drofenik and Victor Fenech
- Mistiedna lokali ewlenin waqt il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb: Lou Drofenik u Victor Fenech
- NBC Literary Short Film Contest 2018
- Applications for the Malta Literary Short Film Contest 2018 are open
- Results of the Malta Literary Short Film Contest are Out
- Film Adaptation at the Malta Book Festival 2016
- Winner of the NBC PBS Short Film Contest 2016
- Applications are out for the NBC PBS Short Film Contest 2016
- Annual Report 2015
- Trailer of 'Dar ir-Rummien' is out
- Malta Book Festival 2015 - Programme of Events
- Winners of the NBC PBS Short-Film Contest 2015
- NBC and PBS: Call for Interns to work on set of short-film
- Annual Report 2014
- PBS and NBC launch the Short Film Contest - 02/02/2015
- NBC film: Laqgħa ma' Mara Morbi