The National Book Council (NBC) is pleased to announce the 2019 Malta Book Festival, the country’s foremost annual book celebration, which will be taking place at the Mediterranean Conference Centre, Valletta, starting from Wednesday 6 November up to Sunday 10 November. The poster for this year’s Festival features artwork by the renowned illustrator Lisa Falzon and has been designed by Steven Scicluna. Falzon has also produced the visual work for last year’s edition.
The full programme of events and activities will be published in the second week of September and will be delivered in printed format to all households in Malta and Gozo.
As is customary, the Festival will open with a conference, which will this year relate to the literary genres of sci-fi and fantasy, and will be led by a number of local and overseas authors. Among them is Loranne Vella, the Brussels based author of Rokit (Merlin Publishers) and winner of the 2018 National Book Prize. The foreign authors attending the conference are Malta-born Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Kali Wallace and Dave Rudden.
On weekday mornings the Festival will welcome school visits. Students will be treated to a special programme of cultural and fun activities that is being prepared for them, including theatre pieces, readings, and meetings with writers. Apart from these activities, a group of professional actors, led by Antonella Axisa, will adapt last year’s Terramaxka Prize winners for the stage. These performances are being held at the Republic Hall, MCC, which will also facilitate the management of school visits in all Festival halls.
Following last year’s success, the popular comedy duo Danusan will be once again staging performances inspired by the works which will have just been awarded the 2019 Terramaxka Prize. Tickets will be available for sale on the MCC’s site on 15 July and further information on receiving tickets to Danusan shows complimentary to book purchases at the Festival will be announced at a later stage.
The NBC will also be retaining an extended exhibition space for this year’s MBF, which will include an extra hall for booksellers and NGOs, and a bigger activity area for the many book presentations, discussions, launches and cultural activities that will be taking place.
In the coming weeks the NBC will also be revealing the name of a renowned international author as this year’s special guest.
The NBC reminds all those exhibitors who haven’t yet sent their application to do so following this link. Deadline is 9 August.
- Judge Rosemarie Aquilina is the special guest of the 2019 Malta Book Festival
- Surprises and new trends: the shortlist of 2019 National Book Prize
- Malta Book Festival 2019: events and authors
- National Book Prize and Terramaxka 2019 - the shortlist
- The Malta Book Festival 2019
- Malta Book Festival 2019 // Application Form is Out
- Ħarġet il-Formola tal-Applikazzjoni tal-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2019
- All about books: literary events at the Campus Book Fest 2019
- Lillian Sciberras: Lifetime Achievement Award 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opened today: Terramaxka Prize 2018
- The Malta Book Festival opens its doors tomorrow: save the date – 7-11 November 2018
- ‘Literature in the Diaspora’: the opening conference of the 2018 Malta Book Festival
- The main local guests at the Malta Book Festival: Lou Drofenik and Victor Fenech
- Mistiedna lokali ewlenin waqt il-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb: Lou Drofenik u Victor Fenech
- Meet the exhibitors - Malta Book Festival 2018
- The programme of events for the Malta Book Festival 2018 is out
- New trends and surprises in the National Book Prize shortlist 2018
- 'Il-kotba jieħdu l-ħajja' fil-Festival Nazzjonali tal-Ktieb 2018
- National Book Prize and Terramaxka Shortlist 2018
- National Book Festival 2018: events and authors
- The Malta Book Festival 2018
- Malta Book Festival 2018 // Application Form is Out
- Experimental folk music by Noah Fabri at the Campus Book Festival 2018
- End of Malta Book Festival 2017
- Mons Amante Buontempo Poetry Contest: Results
- Ros Barber at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Specialised Workshop at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Celebrating Mario Azzopardi at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Shahd Alshammari at the Malta Book Festival 2017
- Gilbert Sinoué at Malta Book Festival 2017
- Alex Vella Gera at the National Book Festival 2017
- Conference: Truth in Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Release of Programme of Events: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Workshop with journalists Rosie Goldsmith and Max Easterman: Malta Book Festival 2017
- Malta Book Festival 2017 - Dates and Events